Wednesday, July 15

So what happens now?

As a quick crib, Terry Pluto had an article yesterday 13 thoughts on what should happen in the Cleveland Indians' second half of the season I suggest you check out. My feelings mirror much of Mr. Pluto's, so: what are those?

- Trading Carl Pavano is a no-brainer. Actually it would probably be stupid not to. Re-signing him is pretty much out of the question, since the Indians' payroll next year shouldn't be expected to grow, since the weather's lousy, downtown is a pit, the stadium's falling apart, and we can't draw dick. Well the stadium isn't falling apart but that drawing dick part is true and isn't helping things.

- Actually trade everyone you can not named Sizemore, Cabrera, Martinez, and Choo.

- Victor Martinez is someone I don't want to see traded because he seriously signed a below-market deal to stay an Indian.

- Cliff Lee is the only pitcher we have that is even close to reliable. However, if the braintrust who put this year's contender together thinks the return is worth it, I really won't shed too many tears over losing a pitcher I've been a fan for a long time.

- No one is taking Hafner or his contract, so I guess he's going to be an Indian for a few more seasons.

- I'm not sure what we are doing with the bullpen so I'm not even going to mention it.

- Where is Matt LaPorta anyway?

- If Wedge is done this year, can we get Bobby Valentine back from Japan?

The Indians return to action tomorrow with a four-game series against the Mariners. The following are your expected starters:

Game 1: Garrett Olson, LHP (3-2, 4.42) vs. Cliff Lee, LHP (4-9, 3.47)
Game 2: Felix Hernandez, RHP (9-3, 2.53) vs. Tomo Ohka, RHP (0-3, 6.40)
Game 3: Jarrod Washburn, LHP (6-6, 2.96) vs. David Huff, LHP (4-3, 6.71)
Game 4: Erik Bedard, LHP (5-2, 2.63) vs. Aaron Laffey, LHP (3-2, 4.24)

Back in the day when Canton had a Frontier League team they had guaranteed wins, where if you brought a ticket from a loss you could get into another game. Well, Tomo Ohka's starts are looking more like guaranteed losses. Last series he was teamed up against Detroit's All-Star Indian killer Justin Verlander and now he draws Felix Hernandez. Prove me wrong Tomo, prove me wrong! Otherwise, the absence of Pavano is the obvious factor here. Pavano shouldn't be in an Indians uniform for too much longer.

Marge: What makes you think this Darryl Strawberry character is better than you?
Homer: Marge, forget it. He's bigger than me, faster than me, stronger than me, and he already has more friends around the plant than I do.
Bart: You make me sick, Homer. You're the one who told me I could do anything if I just put my mind to it!
Homer: Well, now that you're a little bit older, I can tell you that's a crock! No matter how good you are at something, there's always about a million people better than you.
Bart: Gotcha. Can't win, don't try.

Go Tribe!

(AP Photo/Gene J. Puskar)

No comments: