Wednesday, April 4

Flacky

Oh my, Joe Flacco, what have you done?

Made some comical remarks about his own abilities, is what. I mean, this is some classic inflation of self-worth, especially from a guy who Nick accurately described as "good enough that [the Ravens] have to stick with him, not good enough to scare me." Flacco's radio remarks were:

I assume everybody thinks they're a top-five quarterback. I mean, I think I'm the best. I don't think I'm top five, I think I'm the best. I don't think I'd be very successful at my job if I didn't feel that way. I mean, c'mon? That's not really too tough of a question. That doesn't mean that things are going to work out that way. It just means that's the way it is -- that's the way I feel that it is and that's the way I feel it should be.

Forget for a second the mumbo-jumbo at the end there. Does Joe Flacco really think he's the best QB in the NFL? Because he quite clearly isn't. I mean, it's not even close. He was 18th in Passer Rating in 2011. There had to be a better way to answer this question. I mean, I understand that he's trying to appear confident, but that could be accomplished without sounding delusional.

Flacco also provided some penetrating insight into his contract situation (he has one year remaining on his rookie deal):

It's not about the money. It's about what you feel you deserve.

???? So...not money? It's about what you deserve in terms of hugs? Of course it's about the money, please.


Oddly, ESPN columnist Jamison Hensley offered support for Flacco's statements.

Some argue that Joe Flacco is among the most underrated quarterbacks in the NFL. Others see him as one of the top quarterbacks under 30.
Who are these people?

Flacco was right to say [[that he's the best QB in the league]. No matter what you or I think, Flacco should believe he's the best quarterback in the league.
Stop right there. He was not right - it's factually inaccurate. Why would one argue that someone should believe something that is patently untrue? Should he believe that he can fly or has magic too? Hensley points out later that Flacco isn't even the best QB in his own division. Wouldn't it be better for Flacco to honestly and correctly assess his strengths and weaknesses? A QB who believes that he is the best, all evidence to the contrary, is a guy who probably won't make the decisions to maximize his skill set, like an NBA player who jacks up all manner of ill-advised shots because of an over-inflated sense of his own ability.

So it's not a matter of whether Flacco is the best quarterback in the NFL. He's obviously not. What's important is that he believes it.
What's important is self-delusion, is what we're saying. Also, the Ravens suck.

No comments: