Sunday, November 20

Gameday

I'm psyched for the game today.

Yes, the Browns game. Yes, the game pitting two 3-6 squads against each other on a potentially rainy Sunday afternoon in Downtown Cleveland. Yes, things are pretty bad across our sports spectrum right now, but what kind of a fan would I be if I couldn't still get excited for a Browns game? So, instead of betting against our boys like certain members of FCF who will go unnamed (it's Nick), I bet on them by purchasing tickets to the game today, where I fully intend to cheer them to victory.

You see, as I'm getting older, I'm finding myself more interested in boiling sports back to their essence - the games and the competition. When I was a kid, that was all that mattered, because I didn't know what the fuck a salary cap or a mid-level exception was. As I moved into my teens and twenties, I of course learned more about the intricacies of the games on and off the field, and now that I know all of that, I'm starting to think: no thanks. I wonder if maybe I'd get more out of the Browns if I just watched the games on Sunday, read the injury reports and box scores, and called it a day. I don't know.

What I do know is that, even though times are tough (as tomorrow's column will detail), my main reason for being a fan is what it always has been, and damnit, I'm excited to win a ballgame today.

1 comment:

Figgs said...

Let's get a W today. I bet on us. Why the H not?