Friday, October 7

NFL Picks: Week 5

Another average week from us here at FCF, as we collectively barely reached .500. Nick and I did however cash in with a combined 6-2 on our $ picks. The Browns are off this week, so at least we don't have to suffer through another loss there. Let's make with the picks.

Last Week
Joe: 9-7
Nick: 9-7
Figgs: 7-9

Figgs' $ Picks: 2-0
Nick's $ Picks: 4-2


Current Standings
Nick: 35-25-3
Joe: 32-28-3
Figgs: 29-31-3

Figgs' $ Picks: 3-4-1
Nick's $ Picks: 12-5-3


Sunday, 1 pm kickoff

COLTS (-2.5) vs Chiefs
Figgs: Indy. The way their D has been playing, they have to get a win here sooner or later. KC at home presents a perfect opportunity.
Joe: Colts; Their D has been great and Painter is at least servicable, unlike the horrendous Kerry Collins. Plus, the Chiefs pork.
Nick: Colts. What those guys said.

VIKINGS (-3) vs Cardinals
Figgs: Vikes. The way they have been playing in the first half of games, they have to get a win here sooner or later. Arz at home presents a perfect opportunity.
Joe: Cardinals; What an ugly game. I guess I'll go with the team not trying to win the Andrew Luck sweepstakes.
Nick: Cards. No feel for this one, so I'll take the three.

BILLS (+3) vs Eagles
Figgs: Philly. One of the most interesting games of the week. Looking at this matchup at the beginning of the year, you expected a 1-3 team vs a 3-1 team, did not expect the Bills to be the 3-1. I think the Eagles start to turn it around here.
Joe: Bills; The Eagles' run D has been horrendous, and Fred Jackson is running the ball great. I'll go with my gut feeling and take the Bills to bounce back from a tough loss.
Nick: Bills. Why do we think Philly is good again?

TEXANS (-6) vs Raiders
Figgs: Texans. I'm officially a believer. This is a good team.
Joe:Raiders; I bought into them too much last week and perhaps I am doing it again. But I love the way McFadden's running the ball and even if they don't win, I'll take those 6 points.
Nick: Raiders. This is a lot of points to give when you're a team that's struggled to put teams away, is missing Andre Johnson, AND is playing against Darren McFadden.

PANTHERS (+6.5) vs Saints
Figgs: Saints. NO is quietly 3-1 after a last second loss to the best team in football. They may in fact be the league's second-best team.
Joe: Panthers; I wanted to take the Saints here since I see them being on a clear collision course with GB for the NFC championship game. However, Cam and Co. is undefeated so far vs. the spread and until Vegas realizes this and starts giving them more credit, I'll continue to roll with them.
Nick: Saints. As much as I like the Panthers as a back-door cover team this year, I think the Saints will win by double-digits.

JAGUARS (-2) vs Bungals
Figgs: Cinncy? What a gross game this is.
Joe: Bengals; After 4 weeks, I guess I'll finally admit they aren't as bad as I thought they would be.
Nick: Bengals. I feel like the Bengals should be playing 25% better than they are.

STEELERS (-3) vs Titans
Figgs: shitsburgh. I highly enjoy picking these guys and being wrong. Let's make it happen again Tenn.
Joe: Titans; Tough, physical team. That is usually Pittsburgh's fatal flaw (see Baltimore in Week 1). Steelers have the worst offensive line in football and Ben and Rashard Fumblehall are both banged up. Titans win outright, perhaps easily.
Nick: Titans. Fuck you, Steelers.

GIANTS (-9.5) vs Seahawks
Figgs: Seattle. Giants should win (hopefully, as they're my Knockout pick) but 9.5 is a lot of points.
Joe: Seahawks; I don't want to take them here since the G-Men could win a 38-10 type game, but just when you think you've figured the Giants out, they throw another curveball at you. 9.5 is too many points for me to give with such an unpredictable team.
Nick: Giants. The Seahawks are terrible, on the road, and playing an early game.


Sunday, 4 pm kickoff

49ERS (-3) vs Bucs
Figgs: Bucs. I would have guessed this at SanFran +3. I know they're 3-1, but I think Tampa is the better team. ($)
Joe: Bucs; I had to skip this game and come back to it. I have no feel for it. They are both decent, but not great teams. 9ers should win their division by default, but they aren't a bad team. I hate to go against Harbaugh, but the Bucs keep pulling out hard fought victories.
Nick: Bucs, although SF scares me as the team that could screw up a lot of bets this year.

PATRIOTS (-9) vs Jets
Figgs: NYJ. Too many points, this should be a close game.
Joe: Patriots; The Jets D is no longer dominant and Sanchez does not appear anywhere close to being capable of winning games on his own. Alot of points, but with Tom Brady on my side, I'll take my chances.
Nick: Pats. You basically have to concede that the Pats can drop 35 on anyone, and I don't think the Jets can get in to the high 20s.

BRONCOS (+4) vs Chargers
Figgs: SD. Betting on the Chargers scares me, because they tend to play down to their competition, but if Denver is a mess. ($)
Joe: Bolts; FYI, don't ever bet on this team. Just my opinion. They are probably about 20 points better than Denver, but that's when they usually either lose or squeak out a last minute win. Reluctantly, I'll pick them anyway.
Nick: Chargers. THEY HAVE LIGHTNING BOLTS ON THEIR PANTS! ($)


Sunday Night Football

FALCONS (+6) vs Packers
Figgs: ATL. They've burned me each of the first four weeks, and GB looks untouchable so far. But I'll go with the Falcons one more time to keep it close at home.
Joe: Packers; I keep saying their the best team in football, and they've done nothing to prove me wrong. The Dirty Birds are the league's most disappointing team so far. 2-2, but they could easily be 0-4.
Nick: Packers. See Patriots, New England. Also: Eagles, Philadelphia.


Monday Night Football

LIONS (-5) vs Bears
Figgs: Bears. Detroit can't keep making these insane comebacks, and Chicago isn't a bad team. ($ +6)
Joe: Lions; If there's ever a time for a primetime game to get the home team jacked up, it's this game in the D. 1st Monday nighter there since Barry Sanders should feel like a college type atmosphere. No way I'm picking this week to finally go against them.
Nick: Lions, reluctantly. I still think Chicago sucks, and hope we'll see it right here.


Figgs teaser: Giants (Pk)/Saints (+3.5)/Packers (+4.5)
Nick's teaser: Giants (Pick) / Saints (+3.5) / Packers (+4)

2 comments:

Andy said...

Joe, I sincerely hope you're right about the steelers. I like the way you think. Nick, timely picks once again, loved reading them.

Andy said...

Can we somehow award Nick a game for his comments on Pit/Ten?