Friday, October 15

NFL Picks: Week 6

Underdogs went 9-5 straight-up this past weekend, and Bucko went 9-5 ATS, as the rest of the competitors floundered. Figgs has taken the lead, being the only member of FCF above .500 at this point. This week's picks will be interesting as we see how players adapt to the success of the underdogs in 2010 and how well Nick can type after Louie and Rocco break his thumbs.

Last Week
Andy: 5-9
Figgs: 7-7
Nick: 4-10
Bucko: 8-6
Gopo: 4-10

Nick's Money Picks ($): 0-3
Figgs' Money Picks ($): 2-0


Standings
Figgs: 38-35-3
Gopo: 36-37-3
Andy: 36-37-3
Bucko: 34-39-3
Nick: 32-41-3

Nick's Money Picks ($): 5-12-1
Figgs' Money Picks ($): 10-4-1

Bye: Buffaloes, Bengals, Cardinals, Panthers

Sunday games
1 pm kickoff


STEELERS (-14) vs Browns
I hate writing the hillbillies in all caps like this. At least I unbolded them.
Andy: BROWNS. There, I got to write us in all caps. I'll be surprised if anyone else takes Cleveland on the road in Pittsburgh after the steelers' bye week with Colt McCoy making his NFL debut. It's going to be tough sledding for the good guys. Gopo, Figgs once did a Costanza and went like 11-5 - it was awesome. Considering you're basically at .500 for the year, it might not be as effective for you.
Figgs: Fuck it. Browns.
Nick: I've been worried that I won't enjoy Colt McCoy's debut as much as Brady Quinn's because McCoy doesn't have a cool song I can play in his honor, then I realized that I totally forgot about German 90s sensation Real McCoy! Like I need an excuse to crank up "Run Away" or "Another Night, Another Dream?!" It's so on. Go Browns.
Bucko: Steelers. The browns are just to banged up, not that they had much anyways.
Gopo: Steelers. I might have to pull a Costanza this week and do the opposite of what I would normally do. I hate giving this many points away, but I think Rapistberger is at least a 10 point upgrade over Batch.

BEARS (-7) vs Seahawks
Andy: Bears. I cannot and will not take the Seattle Seahawks on the road at this juncture. I don't even care who's starting at QB for da Bears.
Figgs: Bears. Not really sure about this Chicago team, but I am sure that Seattle porks on the road.
Nick: Bears. I'm totally going home/away on the Shehawks.
Bucko: Bears. Pete Carol sucks.
Gopo: Bears. I might have to start respecting this Bears team, though its possible they might be better without Cutler.

PACKERS (-3) vs Dolphins
Andy: Dolphins, regardless of line. If there isn't a line on this by the time I leave Cleveland on Saturday, I'm taking it off the board though.
Figgs: Packers. I don't know if you guys noticed yet, but I don't like picking a certain michigan QB.
Nick: Fish. Not sure about Rodgers, but Jermichael Finley is an enormous blow both to the Packers and my fantasy hopes. I had a raging fantasy man crush on J-Mike this year.
Bucko: Packers. Rodgers will find a way to get it done.
Gopo: Dolphins. Apparently the Packers aren't very good - who knew? 2 straight losses for the fins, so call this my anti-momentum pick.

RAMS (+9) vs Chargers
Andy: Rams. I just like taking this team for some reason, and I think both teams here have serious road-home splits that make me feel OK about getting 9 points. I thought it would only be 6.
Figgs: Rams. The Chargers are a weird team. They could win this by 20 or lose the game.
Nick: Chargers. You guys are all stupid.
Bucko: Chargers. If I was getting one more point I might change my mind.
Gopo: Rams. Also, apparently the Chargers aren't all that good. Then again, they do exactly this every year and then win 7 straight games in November/December. This is why I don't bet $ on football.

PATRIOTS (-3) vs Ravens
Andy: Patriots. I can see the Ravens stealing this one, but I just think New England is going to pull this one out.
Figgs: Pats. NE is 7-1 ATS the last eight years after a bye week.
Nick: Ravens. So Vegas thinks these two teams are even? They're not. Was thinking about betting this one, but Figgs might have me talked out of it. Still like the Ravens for now. ($)
Bucko: Ravens. Looks like they might have a running game now. The Pats will wish they kept Moss for this one.
Gopo: Patriots. Yes, the Ravens will turn the Pats into a one dimensional team, but there are few teams better suited to winning that way. I think they'll find the holes in the second half and put up some serious points. Hopefully I won't be saying this in the Super Bowl, but I still don't think the Ravens are all that good.

BUCS (+4.5) vs Saints
Andy: Saints. I was really tempted to jump on the Tampa bandwagon and off the New Orleans one, but I'd feel like a dummy doing it a week too late. The Bucs seems too trendy of a pick for Francis.
Figgs: Saints. Bress gets back on track this week in a big way.
Nick: Bucs. I mean, they are undefeated, and the Saints just lost to Max Hall and the Cardinals. That should be a band. ($)
Bucko: Saints. For no reason.
Gopo: Bucs. Also, apparently the Saints aren't very good. How the hell did this team win the SuperBowl last year? What exactly has changed - they just lost Sharper on D, right? Is someone other than Brees QBing this team and I'm not aware of it?

GIANTS (-10) vs Lions
Andy: Lions. Ladies and gentlemen, the only team left in the NFL still undefeated ATS. The Giants have played better ball of late, but Detroit is plucky. Just your basic 1-4 team with a +14 point differential.
Figgs: Lions. Gopo makes a good point about them scoring late, should be able to keep this at single digits.
Nick: Giants. Again, I really can't stress enough how much smarter I am than the rest of you.
Bucko: Lions. Someone should tell Nick that he shouldn't talk so much shit when he is in last place.
Gopo: Lions. Too many points for me to take the Giants, and I think the Lions are a really frisky team that will manage to stay in every game. They have proven the ability to put up points in garbage time, which is key for any bad team that gets a ton of points.

EAGLES (-3) vs Falcons
Andy: Falcons. I think Atlanta got away with a shaky game in Cleveland last week and will improve in this one. Essentially, I'm getting three points to take the NFC's leader in point differential and a club that's rattled off four straight wins.
Figgs: Falcons. They're simply the better team.
Nick: Dirty Birds. These 2010 Falcons are making Jamal Anderson and Chris Chandler proud.
Bucko: Falcons. They're better than we thought they were.
Gopo: Falcons. I believe Kolb is playing this weekend. Either way, I think the Falcons are the better team and come away with a win.

TEXANS (-4.5) vs Chieves
Andy: Chieves. One of the toughest on the board for me - I initially thought Texans, but they haven't played that strongly since their opening week and the lure of .500 is working against them.
Figgs: Texans. I'm sticking with them, even though they burned me last week for the first time.
Nick: Chiefs. I'm so over the Texans. Dre Johnson is banged up and they still are without their starting LT. BLIND SIDE! ($)
Bucko: Texans. I don't believe the hype behind the Chiefs.
Gopo: Texans. Picking this as a bounce back game, but I have zero idea. It's really hard for me to physically type "Chiefs" during my weekly picks. This might end up biting me in the ass more than it has already.


4 pm kickoff

49ERS (-6.5) vs Raiders
Andy: Raiders. Damnit, I should have stuck with them last week. Have some backbone! I guess I just have a problem with giving 6.5 to back a 0-5 team that's averaging a 10-point loss so far on the season. Oakland could easily be 3-2 if Janikowski hadn't missed that easy kick against the Cardinals. Oh well.
Figgs: Raiders. Why does Vegas still love San Fran? Aren't they watching their games?
Nick: Raiders. Niner? I barely know her!
Bucko: 49ERS. They finally get their shit together.
Gopo: Raiders. Seriously? I can't believe the Raiders are getting any points; they should win this game outright. On a positive note, maybe I'll finally be able to watch some other team on TV.

BRONCOS (+3) vs Jets
Andy: Jets. They're confident and they're tough, they lead the NFL in point differential, and they're the kind of team that can win in Mile High. Also: Denver isn't very good.
Figgs: Jets. By far my favorite game on the board. ($)
Nick: J-E-T-S. The class of the AFC along with Pittsburgh and Baltimore. ($)
Bucko: Jets. Damn, they are pretty good.
Gopo: Jets. Apparently the Jets are actually pretty good. I need to stop picking against those guys even if I think Dirty Sanchez is not a very good QB.

VIKINGS (-1) vs Cowboys
Andy: Vikes. They absolutely slaughtered the Cowboys in this very venue in the NFC Playoffs last year, and I think they'll pull together and win this one as well. Dallas looks pretty well buried in the NFC East while Minny still has a shot to move up in the North.
Figgs: Vikes. Must-win for both teams, I'll take the one that's at home and just flat out better.
Nick: Vikes. Riding hard against the Cowboys has worked wonders for me this season. It's really one of the few things I've gotten right. I'll happily take the Vikes with their home field advantage.
Bucko: Cowboys. I think Favre or Jackson struggle in this one.
Gopo: Cowboys. I picked the Vikings to sit at 1-5 and I'm sticking with that. I just hope Favre is healthy enough to have his consecutive game streaked snapped because of sexting instead of injury. Or he hangs around long enough to have people boo him and call for Tavaris Jackson to start. I'm not sure which is worse, but whatever is worse is what I want to happen. That plus his arm falling off at the same time.

Sunday Night Football, 8:20 pm

REDSKINS (+3) vs Colts
Andy: Colts. For one, history has shown time and time again that picking against Peyton Manning in a night game is unwise. Also, I'm tired of the Redskins screwing up my picks and have developed a distaste for them.
Figgs: Colts. The Skins have me confused as well, so I'll just stick behind Peyton. ($)
Nick: Colts. Manning. Night game. I require no more information. Don't you have to bet this? ($)
Bucko: Colts. Let me state that again Colts, not Colt McCoy. Manning in prime time.
Gopo: Colts. I have no idea what to make of these Redskins, so I'm not going to spend any time pretending like I have a reason for this pick.

Monday Night Football, 8:30 pm

JAGS (+3) vs Titans
Andy: Titans. I still think Tennessee is a strong club and Jax doesn't do it for me.
Figgs: Titans. Not completely sure if Jacksonville is any good or not, but I'm leaning towards no. ($)
Nick: Titans. This should be 8. ($)
Bucko: TIT-ans. I just said tit.
Gopo: Titans. I think the Jags are a "look good when you're playing another awful team, but can't do anything when you're playing a decent team" team. Well, I guess I didn't use the Costanza strategy this week, so at least I have that in my back pocket for next week...

No comments: