Friday, October 1

NFL Picks: Week 4

We've got quite the competition here at FCF - no one has managed to break away from the pack, but no one's dropped too far below .500 yet either. Last week was tough for the crew, with Figgs the only player topping .500 and raking in some virtual cash along the way. Players, keep in mind this trend: underdogs have gone 28-16-3 ATS so far this season.

Last Week
Andy: 8-8
Figgs: 9-7
Nick: 8-8
Bucko: 6-10
Gopo: 7-9

Nick's Money Picks ($): 1-2
Figgs' Money Picks ($): 3-0 (!)

Standings
Gopo: 26-19-3
Andy: 25-20-3
Figgs: 24-21-3
Nick: 22-23-3
Bucko: 21-24-3

Nick's Money Picks ($): 4-6-1
Figgs' Money Picks ($): 6-3-1


Sunday games
1 pm kickoff


BROWNS (+3) vs Bengals
Andy: BROWNS. We've been one play away from potentially winning all three of our games so far - this is the weekend we make that play.
Figgs: Browns. If we don't win this one I don't see us having a chance until Jacksonville in week 10. We need this.
Nick: Browns. Time to notch win number one.
Bucko: Bengals
Gopo: Browns. Despite their win over the Ravens, I'm still not convinced the Bengals are any good.

FALCONS (-6.5) vs 49ers
Andy: Falcons. Who has two thumbs and doesn't even have to give a touchdown to take Atlanta at home at 1 pm against a West Coast team coached by the nearly-incoherent Mike Singletary? This guy.
Figgs: ATL. I love not having to give a touchdown here. ($)
Nick: Birds. The Falcons look really solid, plus the Niners are reeling and flying cross-country for an early game. ($)
Bucko: Falcons
Gopo: Falcons. Singletary might be certifiably insane.

BILLS (+5) vs Jets
Andy: Buffaloes again. The Jets are due for a slip-up, and Buffalo has shown they can hang with good teams after last week's game in Foxboro. I just took Buffalo two straight weeks and I'm also backing the Rams, Lions, and Cardinals this week, fyi.
Figgs: Jets. I'm picking against the Bills for the fourth straight week in my Eliminator poll. I thinks it's a good strategy.
Nick: Jets. Buffalo looked frisky last week, but the Jets are clicking on offense and should win by at least a touchdown. ($)
Bucko: Jets
Gopo: Jets. I can see Andy being right here, but I think the Jets D is a lot better than the Patriots.

RAMS (+1) vs Seahawks
Andy: Rams. I'll be interested to learn why anyone would take this Seattle club on the road in 2010, especially not even getting points.
Figgs: Rams. You guys said it, plus I think Bradford is going to be good.
Nick: Rams. I'm buying the Seahawks at home, and selling on the road.
Bucko: Seahawks
Gopo: Rams. +1 on Nick and Andy - Seattle at home only.

TITANS (-6.5) vs Broncos
Andy: Titans. They showed last week in New Jersey that the Pittsburgh thing was more a reflection on the steelers' D than on the Tennessee O (as Nick correctly surmised before the contest) and the Broncos showed last week that they aren't particularly good.
Figgs: Titans. The Donks D is not very good, CJ2K will run all over them.
Nick: Titans. The Broncos can put up some passing yardage, but I'd need closer to 10 points to take them here.
Bucko: Titans
Gopo: Titans. Chris Johnson might get to 200 yards in this one.

PACKERS (-14.5) vs Lions
Andy: Lions. They could very well lose this by 14. Man, I'm making these picks without seeing Nick's analysis and we haven't diverged yet. We're even making the same commentary. This has me worried.
Figgs: Lions. 14.5 is a lot of points, and I still don't think the Lions are as bad as they were the past few years.
Nick: Lions. That's a big half point.
Bucko: Packers
Gopo: Lions. Too many points. The Lions have some fight to them - I don't think they'll be an easy out for anyone and the Packers have been making a lot of mistakes.

SAINTS (-13.5) vs Panthers
Andy: Saints. The Panthers look epically bad to me, and New Orleans should be out for blood after giving away that game to Atlanta last week.
Figgs: Saints. The Panthers are one of the worst teams in the league, going on the road against one of the best. I don't care how many points this is.
Nick: Panthers. The Saints aren't really scoring much, and I see the Panthers getting their ground game going a little today.
Bucko: Panthers
Gopo: Saints. This is the week the Saints offense gets clicking - home game against a horrible team will be a nice rebound after the Falcons.

STEELERS (-1) vs Ravens
I purposely put this at the very bottom of the 1 pm kickoffs. Take that!
Andy: Steelers. Too black and yellow. Too strong.
Figgs: Steelers. Let's just hope the stadium blows up at halftime.
Nick: Steelers. I'll ride them while they still aren't getting respect from the books, sans Rapist. ($)
Bucko: Steelers
Gopo: Steelers. This is always a tough matchup regardless of how good the teams really are. I don't think the Ravens' offense is any good at all - the Steelers should shut them down pretty easily.

4 pm kickoff

JAGS (+8) vs Colts
Andy: Colts, in an obvious stay-away game. I don't really like giving 8, but JAX has lost their last two games by 25 points each. Why does Jacksonville have a football team again?
Figgs: Colts. We are all way too much on the same page toady.
Nick: Colts. The Jags are a huge mess. I'll gladly take advantage. ($)
Bucko: Colts
Gopo: Colts. Jags are horrible - they might be the worst team in the league at the end of the year. I know they always play the Colts tight, but if the Eagles offense poured it on, then the Colts should have no problems.

RAIDERS (+3) vs Texans
Andy: Texans. The Raiders are sort-of tempting, but I'm not going to overreact to Houston's fiasco last week, and it's always tough to back a team that just lost at home to the Cardinals.
Figgs: Texans. Apparently I'm much more confident than you guys, I jumped on this line Monday when I first saw it. ($)
Nick: Raiders. My faith in the Texans has been shaken.
Bucko: Texans
Gopo: Texans. Think they bounce back this week after a really poor showing last week.

EAGLES (-6) vs Redskins
Andy: Redskins, in a bit of reverse logic. I can't seem to pin down Washington this year, and I was actually leaning Philly, so I'm going against my own grain, plus trying to surf the underdog wave of the 2010 NFL.
Figgs: Philly. I can't get a feel for this Skins team at all. I'll ride Vick while he's hot. (That sounded really homosexual)
Nick: Skins. Eagles are primed for a fall, and the Skins can at least keep it close.
Bucko: Redskins
Gopo: Eagles. I really want the Redskins to win this game, but I think the Eagles are in a groove right now.

CHARGERS (-9) vs Cardinals
Andy: Cardinals. San Diago is mostly getting by on rep these days, and Arizona might surprise some people here.
Figgs: Chargers. They're at home and really need a win, and I'm prety sure ARZ is still starting a guy named Anderson.
Nick: Cardinals. I can't believe I'm doing this, but I'm just not high on the Chargers this year.
Bucko: Cardinals
Gopo: Cardinals. Looks like Vegas is still believing in the offseason Chargers and not the Chargers of the first three games.

Sunday Night Football, 8:20 pm

GIANTS (-4) vs Bears
Andy: Giants. The Bears have been an interesting surprise, but I think this is where they slip up.
Figgs: Bears. I'm not really sold on them yet, but I'm not sure why they are getting points here. Has Vegas watched a Giants game this year?
Nick: Bears. Chicago can stop New York's running game, and New York's secondary blows.
Bucko: Bears
Gopo: Bears. I don't think the Giants are all that good.

Monday Night Football, 8:30 pm

DOLPHINS (+1) vs Patriots
Andy: Dolphins. The Patriots defense is too shaky to take them on the road in a night game.
Figgs: Pats. If I win my games today I think I'll put money on this. Chad Henne can eat my shorts. ($)
Nick: Fish. Prime time revenge for the Phins this week.
Bucko: Patriots
Gopo: Patriots. Pats D is shaky for sure, but that offense is going to put up points. This one will be close, but I see the Pats coming away with a win.

1 comment:

Figgs said...

Don't get too excited about the 3-0 money games, I went 1-3 in college games. I'm finally not going out of town and rushing to get my picks in this weekend, so I can actually comment instead of just one word picks!