Tuesday, April 6

Well that wasn't very fun

My first reaction following yesterday's Opening Day Tribe loss was, "well I think that went better than last year." Was I right? Let's take a look at the numbers and the situation

2009 Rangers 9 Indians 1
2010 White Socks 6 Indians 0

Score-wise, you hate getting shut out, and I will point out our team average of .133 is the lowest in the majors after day one.

2009 Lee 5.0 IP 10 Hits 7 ER
2010 Westbrook 4.0 IP 5 Hits 5 ER

Lee was coming off a Cy Young year and did eventually return to form. Westbrook, on the other hand, hasn't pitched since May 2008. In 2009 I knew Lee was going to eventually be good. In 2010 I'm sure Westbrook will be better but I'm not sure he'll be an above-.500 pitcher.

Pitching-wise, Opening Day probably wasn't fun for Jake but he's a mentally tough veteran, which is something you can't really say about any other member of this rotation.

The lack of offense is a little worrying and I hate losing to the White Socks, but I still think 2010 gives me less to worry about. That and the fact of lower expectations probably doesn't hurt 2010 either.

Game 2: Fausto Carmona, RHP (0-0, -.--) vs. Jake Peavy, RHP (0-0, -.--)
Game 3: Justin Masterson, RHP (0-0, -.--) vs. Gavin Floyd, RHP (0-0, -.--)

Peavy only pitched three games ikn the American League last year and won all three. Striking out 18 in 20 innings isn't too bad either. I still like this matchup with Carmona for the Indians; unfortunately for the Tribe hitters, things aren't getting much easier.

Go Tribe!

(AP Photo/Nam Y. Huh)

No comments: