Saturday, September 26

NFL Picks: Week 3

Last week
Andy: 11-5
Figgs: 9-7
Nick: 7-9

Year to date
Andy: 18-14
Figgs: 17-15
Nick: 17-15
Nick's Money Games($): 0-2
Nick's Teaser: 1-1


Sunday games
1:00 pm kickoffs

RAVENS (-13) vs Browns
Andy: We just lost by 21 to a team not even close to as good as the Ravens, in a game not really as close as the final score indicated. The Ravens are the lock of the week. Thus, Browns.
Figgs: Ravens. In some ridiculous NFL rule that no one knows about, the Browns will score negative points in this game.
Nick: Ravens. Gotta stay consistent with my 33-13 pick, although I'd give an appendage to be wrong.

LIONS (+6) vs Redskins
Andy: Nick makes a good point that the Redskins aren't a team to count on to make big covers (9-7 at home to St Louis last week?). The standings make the point that the Lions have lost 19 straight games, not to mention 25 of 26. ESPN.com's Jeffrey Chadiha makes the point that "even with two defeats, they already seem better than last season." They've lost their two games this season by an average by 16 points. They lost their 16 last year by an average of 15.6 points per contest. Yep, much better. Of course, the Browns are losing by 17.5 per so far in 2009. I don't know why, but I'm going Detroit.
Figgs: Lions. This might be their chance to break the streak.
Nick: Lions, for all the points Andy made.

RAMS (-6.5) vs Packers
Andy: The Pack will straighten out whatever issues Cincy gave them last weekend, whereas the Rams will go back to being the Rams. I think their close call last week says more about Washington than it does St Louis.
Figgs: Pack.
Nick: I really like the Pack this week. This line should be more than a touchdown. ($)

VIKINGS (-6) vs 49ers
Andy: The 49ers are what I want the Browns to be - not especially talented, but playing hard and smart and being competitive. Just not in this game - Vikes. And while I'm here: Michael Crabtree wants Top 5 money. He was drafted 10th. It must be a surreal life for ego and greed to cause you to turn down $20 million guaranteed.
Figgs: Vikes, but I'm also not too confident.
Nick: I'm going to go Vikings here, but I don't love the pick. Mainly, I don't think that Gore will be able to run on the Vikes, and I'm counting on Peterson wearing down the Niners and eventually breaking one.

PATRIOTS (-3) vs Falcons
Andy: Pats. The Falcons' two wins are both at home and the Pats are coming off a stinging loss.
Figgs: Two teams I never pick against, what do I do? The Pats have burned me twice, and the ATL hasn't seemed to let me down in two years. Falcons.
Nick: Falcons. I don't like the Patriots' defense. I'll give it to Michael Turner 35 times and take my chances.

JETS (-2) vs Titans
Andy: I can't pick this solid of a Titan team to go 0-3. Give me the Tennesseans.
Figgs: Titans for the reasons they said.
Nick: Titans. I still think the Titans are good, and the Jets are a young team coming off a big win. I see a let down.

EAGLES (-9.5) vs Chieves
Andy: I'm rolling this entire week on what happened last week. What happened last week? Kansas City lost at home to Oakland in a game where JaMarcus Russell went 7-24 passing. Seven of twenty-four, and they beat the Chieves. I can and will not take the Chieves.
Figgs: Philly.
Nick: Philly still has a good defense and an offense that will move the ball adequately. I'll take them here.

BUCS (+7) vs Giants
Andy: The Giants look strong this year, very strong. The Bucs look like Byron Leftwich is their QB. Yet this is a tough one for me for some odd reason. I'm taking New York.
Figgs: I will not take a team QB'd by Leftwich. G-Men.
Nick: Giants in my favorite game of the week. I got in at -6.5, but I'd take them at -7 too. ($)

TEXANS (-4) vs Jags
Andy: Texans will roll with the momentum from last week's huge win over the Titans, while the Jags are headed nowhere. I like the home cover.
Figgs: I believe I called that Texans win last week. That has nothing to do with this week's pick, but I just don't get too much of a chance to brag here. Oh yeah, this week I like Houston again.
Nick: I like Houston here. Jacksonville does not look good.


4:00 pm kickoffs
SEAHAWKS (+1) vs Bears
Andy: I had the Seahawks before I realized that Seneca Wallace was starting, and now I have the Bears.
Figgs: Bears for sure. I would have guessed this spread around 6.
Nick: Bears, largely because of Wallace. ($)

BILLS (+5) vs Saints
Andy: Rather than explaining my selection here, I have chosen to include a photo of Drew Brees' awesome ESPN file photo hair and will mention that he attended the same college as the legendary John Hawkins, at the same time no less. Saints.
Figgs: NO. The Saints look like one of the best teams in the NFL so far.
Nick: I'll take Buffalo getting 5 at home.

BENGALS (+4.5) vs Steelers
Andy: Fuck it, Bengals.
Figgs: See "Nick"
Nick: Steelers. No comment.

RAIDERS (-2) vs Broncos
Andy: The Broncos sense it: they can go 3-0 without playing anyone good. And they will. This line has moved 3.5 points towards Denver since we posted it.
Figgs: Denver will become the worst 3-0 team ever. They might finish 4-12.
Nick: Broncos, in a very ballsy suicide pool pick.

CHARGERS (-6) vs Dolphins
Andy: This year's Charger squad strikes me as overrated. I'll take the Fish.
Figgs: Miami. This was my toughest pick of the week.
Nick: Chargers, just because the Dolphins aren't very good.


8:20 pm kickoff
CARDINALS (+2.5) vs Colts
Andy: Are we sure this isn't -2.5? Give me the Cards at home. It's my favorite love-hate relationship in NFL ATS-guessing. Do you know what their regular-season point differential was last year? +1. That's it.
Figgs: Colts.
Nick: Gonna go Cards here, though a Colts cover wouldn't shock me.


Monday Night Game
8:30 pm kickoff

COWBOYS (-9) vs Panthers
Andy: Too many points - Carolina.
Figgs: Cats.
Nick: I picked Carolina initially, but after checking some trends and looking at how bad the Panthers have been since last year's playoff meltdown, I just can't see them keeping this in the single digits. I'll take the Cowboys to get their first win in JerryWorld (do we really like this name?). I'll even put my money where my mouth is. ($)

Nick's Teaser: Giants (-1) and Packers (-0.5)

1 comment:

Nick said...

Pretty sweet that we all picked the Lions.